6269  Shocking "close embrace"

ARTICLE INDEX


Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:50:18 +0100
From: Kristina Bohm <kristinaelo@gmail.com>
Subject: [Tango-L] Shocking "close embrace"
<f68bea000902260250s2a9ee430w6f98136b9ce09c34@mail.gmail.com>

Hello,

It's time to change the discussion to another shocking subject!

I apologize if this has been discussed earlier, since I am relatively new on
this list. But not new to tango and I am having an issue with something that
has been lately bothering me a bit (or a lot?). I would like to get other
opinions...

What do you think of "close embrance" after a guy has been dancing several
hours and is totally soaked in his sweat?... I, personally love both, close
and open embrace. But recently I had to say 'no' to a great dancer whom I
smelled already from 5 meters approaching me. (and yes, I smiled and said
that I was tired...:) )
Another dancer, also at the end of milonga, after several open embrace
tangos, told me that "he prefers close embrace" and almost forced me to the
close position.

Well, it does apply for women also, but guys, at least seem to have more
choice what embrace to lead.

I remeber one gentelman, who had a different shirt for every partner he
danced with. Maybe it was little bit too extreme, but for sure, tangos felt
like heaven with him!

Any opinions, suggestions???

Best greetings
Kris





Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 04:00:52 -0800 (PST)
From: "Trini y Sean (PATangoS)" <patangos@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Tango-L] Shocking "close embrace"



--- On Thu, 2/26/09, Kristina Bohm <kristinaelo@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you think of "close embrance" after a guy
> has been dancing several hours and is totally soaked in his sweat?... I, personally love both, close and open embrace. But recently I had to say 'no' to a great dancer whom I smelled already from 5 meters approaching me. (and yes, I smiled and said that I was tired...:) )

Good answer. By the way, anyone who has to work so hard that he sweats that much, might not be such a great dancer.

> Another dancer, also at the end of milonga, after several
> open embrace
> tangos, told me that "he prefers close embrace"
> and almost forced me to the
> close position.

I would have made an excuse and left in the middle of a tanda if someone tried that with me and I wanted to dance with him another time. Otherwise, I would have just thanked him and left him on the dance floor. If, however, you asked him to dance and you knew that he preferred close-embrace, then that's a different story.


> I remeber one gentelman, who had a different shirt for
> every partner he danced with. Maybe it was little bit too extreme, but for sure, tangos felt like heaven with him!
>


There's a lot of fish in the ocean. Don't sweat the guys who don't have the decency to present themselves nicely to you. Think the next guy asking you to dance will enjoy being soaked by you soaked by someone else?


Trini de Pittsburgh








Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:41:49 +0000
From: Jay Rabe <jayrabe@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tango-L] Shocking "close embrace"
To: <kristinaelo@gmail.com>, "tango-l@mit.edu" <tango-l@mit.edu>


Kris wrote: What do you think of "close embrance" after a guy has been dancing several

> hours and is totally soaked in his sweat?...

The guy needs one of Portland tanguera Bonnie Lee's Miracle shirts. They're gortex and wick away moisture, and the sweatiest dancer always feels dry, and odorless too. (I have no financial connection to Bonnie Lee). Her company is Tanguero Designs, but unfortunately she's apparently moving her website and the link that I have no longer works. I'll see if I can find a good link and post it later.

J


Windows Live? Hotmail?:?more than just e-mail.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_hm_justgotbetter_explore_022009




Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:44:46 -0500
From: Endzone 102 <endzone102@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tango-L] Shocking "close embrace"
<694bf47d0902270844o1410dd7eo2d921da65fda06d@mail.gmail.com>

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Trini y Sean (PATangoS) <patangos@yahoo.com

> wrote:

>
>
> --- On Thu, 2/26/09, Kristina Bohm <kristinaelo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > What do you think of "close embrance" after a guy
> > has been dancing several hours and is totally soaked in his sweat?... I,
> personally love both, close and open embrace. But recently I had to say 'no'
> to a great dancer whom I smelled already from 5 meters approaching me. (and
> yes, I smiled and said that I was tired...:) )
>
> Good answer. By the way, anyone who has to work so hard that he sweats
> that much, might not be such a great dancer.
>

Oh, dear. Let me tell you something. I sweat. I sweat wearing shorts
in the winter. Being in a dance hall or studio that's over 68 degress makes
me sweat, even before I start dancing. But thanks for generalizing.

>
> > Another dancer, also at the end of milonga, after several
> > open embrace
> > tangos, told me that "he prefers close embrace"
> > and almost forced me to the
> > close position.
>
> I would have made an excuse and left in the middle of a tanda if someone
> tried that with me and I wanted to dance with him another time. Otherwise,
> I would have just thanked him and left him on the dance floor. If, however,
> you asked him to dance and you knew that he preferred close-embrace, then
> that's a different story.
>

That's what your left elbow is for. Lock it off if you really don't want
to dance in close. But otherwise, I agree with Trini here. Bail out if
you're not comfortable being in close with someone.

-Greg G





ARTICLE INDEX